Monday 1 July 2024

Patience

When I returned home today from our time together this morning, I continue to think about our discussion of the gospels and our private morning meditations.   I was drawn back to my bookshelf and I came across a worn old book, titled Daily Strength for Daily Needs.

I'm not sure how this book found its way into my library, but I feel fairly certain it was among my parents belongings. The book was originally copyrighted in 1884 and a note from the publisher suggests this book was printed in 1934.

And then the phrase came to me--from generation to generation.  Where had I heard this before? Knowing that so much of my faith has been, by His Grace founded in worship and study at Christ Episcopal Church in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, I turn to the book of common prayer and found this prayer.

Lord God of our Fathers: God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ: Open our eyes to see your hand at work in the world about us. Deliver us from the presumption of coming to this Table for solace only, and not for strength; for pardon only, and not for renewal. Let the grace of this Holy Communion make us one body, one spirit in Christ, that we may worthily serve the world in his name.

Risen Lord, be known to us in the breaking of the Bread.

Accept these prayers and praises, Father, through Jesus Christ our great High Priest, to whom, with you and the Holy Spirit, your Church gives honor, glory, and worship, from generation to generation.  Amen


And so from Daily Strength for Daily Needs, I pray for each of us...

Be patient with everyone, but above all with yourself. I mean, do not be disturbed because of your imperfections, and always rise up bravely from the fall. I am glad that you make a daily new beginning; there is no better means of progress in the spiritual life than to be continually beginning afresh, and never to think that we have done enough.

Saint Francis de Sales (1567-1602)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.