Wednesday 18 September 2024

Our call...

Benedict reminds us frequently that we are called to love God with our whole heart and our neighbor as our self.  Most importantly, we are called to set out every day to see the Christ in the other and to treat the other as Christ.

What a challenge this is for most of us!  And then Sr Joan raises the bar, reminding us we are called to engage in the great Christian enterprise of acting for others in the place of God--every day, in every moment.  St. Teresa of Avila made this clear....

 Christ has no body but mine. He prays in me, works in me, looks through my eyes, speaks through my words, works through my hands, walks with my feet, and loves with my heart.   
If we can embrace this truth, .... allowing that transformative love to permeate all of our work, we will not only build the Kingdom of Heaven,  but we will also find eternal rest and peace for ourselves.

 Reading now from Sr Joan....

The monastic heart is not just to be a good heart.  It is to be engaged in the great Christian enterprise of acting for others in the place of God.

Sr Joan Chittister 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.