Friday 20 September 2024

The wize smile quietly....

 I worked for a man who had the most interesting smile--it was a quiet smile--not quite Mona Lisa--but surely not what I would call a grin.  Today, I realize it was indeed a quiet wize smile.  Today, I believe he was watching a young man, loud, always certain and willing to talk...and he was thinking...when will he learn.

I'm more than a little embarrassed to tell you, I remember that smile from 30 years ago--and I am troubled by how little has changed.  And so, Benedict and Sr Joan remind us again today, 

Benedict wants moderation, balance, control...hold all of life in perspective...not to be overtaken, consumed, swept up, swallowed....

Let me close with a gift from a dear friend...

                        We travelers, walking to the sun, can't see
                        Ahead, but looking back the very light
                        That blinded us shows us the way we came,
                        Along which blessings now appear, risen
                        As if from sightlessness to sight, and we,
                        By blessing brightly lit, keep going toward
                        The blesséd light that yet to us is dark
        

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.